Monday, May 5, 2008

A little late for Earth Day but..

So last night Nate and I watched An Inconvenient Truth and I have to say it got me thinking. Honestly, I had no intention of watching it but it was so compelling I couldn't stop. I would recommend it to anyone who has children, grandchildren or anyone who plans on being around for the next 30 years or so. Even Republicans (you know who you are) should watch it, because its not so much about politics as the environment.
As I was watching I started feeling more and more like it was too late but it isn't; and that gave me hope. I would strongly encourage everyone to do what they can to reduce their impact on this planet so it's around for our kids. I think we have been conditioned to believe that we can either be green or have money but that isn't true... besides what good is having money if you don't have a planet to spend the money on?
OK that's it I will step off of my soapbox but seriously go plant a tree or change your light bulbs its the least you can do for our planet!

3 comments:

FlyingCats said...

Ha ha! Silly rabbit! April Fool's was last month!!!! ;-)

http://www.greatglobalwarmingswindle.com/

Not everyone is settled on Gore's pseudoscience on this. Even the former head of Greenpeace, Patrick Moore, doesn't buy man-made GW. Anyway, we can 'debate' later this month!!! Ha HA!

Love you!

Wehunthouse said...

Ahh yes pseudoscience.. Even if it is what's the harm in planting a tree or reducing your impact on the earth? I see no negitive what's the worst thing to happen more oxygen less CO2 (you should think about that since you live in one of the most polluted areas in the country)

FlyingCats said...

Absolutely no harm in planting more trees - in fact, we planting 3 this weekend. Conservatives aren't the bad guys here either...we aren't for random destruction of the environment, as that is, well, bad for business - right?

I would recommend watching this BBC video - it puts some of the science into perspective, explains the political players behind pushing 'man-made' global warming, and carefully documents previous warming and cooling periods in the earth's history. It's about an hour long, but very engaging and worth the time. It did a lot to put my mind at ease, and hopefully yours in that the sky is not falling.

http://tinyurl.com/6sax22

Also, there are some really great books on the environment that bring a bit of balance to the debate. Dixie Lee Ray has 2 out - 'Trashing the Planet' and 'Environmental Overkill'. Another is "Cool It" by Bjorn Lomborg (totally hottie, btw). Haven't read it yet, but it's on the top of the stack next to my bed to start next week when the quarter is over.

Hopefully this will start some thoughtful discussion.